Early in the morning on Thursday, October 22, 2009 a fire broke out in the James River Residence hall on the campus of Christopher Newport University. The fire was detected by Brandi McKee the Resident Hall Director and Beta Gamma Chapter Faculty Advisor. Due to her quick actions she was able to alert her staff and quickly evacuate the building ensuring that all 600 students who occupied the building were safe. After ensuring the safety of the students she pinpointed where the fire was originating from in the building. Using a fire extinguisher that was at the front desk she was able to put out the fire that covered a three foot area within the elevator shaft. For more about this incredible story please go to http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/local_wavy_nn_cnu_residence_hall_fire_20091015.