The National Fraternity of Kappa Delta Rho, Inc.
RISK MANAGEMENT POLICY
(Adopted August 28, 2019)
Alcohol and Drugs
In any activity or event sponsored or endorsed by the [chapter/organization], including those that occur on or off [organizational/chapter] premises:
(1) The [organization,] members, and guests must comply with all federal, state, provincial, and local laws. No person under the legal drinking age may possess, consume, provide, sell or be provided alcoholic beverages.
(2) [Organizations,] members, and guests must follow the federal law regarding illegal drugs and controlled substances. No person may possess, use, provide, distribute, sell, and/or manufacture illegal drugs or other controlled substances while on [organizational/chapter] premises or at any activity or event sponsored or endorsed by the [chapter/organization].
(3) Alcoholic beverages must either be: (1) provided and sold on a per-drink basis by a licensed and insured third-party vendor (e.g., restaurant, bar, caterer, etc.); or (2) brought by individual members and guests through a bring your own beverage (“BYOB”) system.
(4) The presence of alcohol products above 15% alcohol by volume (“ABV”) is prohibited on any [organizational] premises or at any event, except when served at an event by a licensed and insured third-party vendor.
(5) Common sources of alcohol, including bulk quantities, which are not being served by a licensed and insured third party vendor, are prohibited (i.e., amounts of alcohol greater than what a reasonable person should consume over the duration of an event).
(6) Alcoholic beverages must not be purchased with [organizational] funds or funds pooled by members or guests (e.g., admission fees, cover fees, collecting funds through digital apps, etc.).
(7) An [chapter/organization] must not co-host or cosponsor, or in any way participate in, an activity or event with another group or entity that purchases or provides alcohol, illegal drugs or controlled substances.
(8) An [chapter/organization] must not co-host or cosponsor an event with a bar, event promoter, or alcohol distributor; however, a [chapter/organization] may rent a bar, restaurant, or other licensed and insured third-party vendor to host a chapter event.
(9) Attendance by non-members at any event where alcohol is present must be by invitation only, and the [chapter/organization] must utilize a guest list system. Attendance at events with alcohol is limited to a guest-to-member ratio not to exceed local fire or building code capacity of the premises or host venue.
(10) Any event or activity related to the new member joining process (e.g., recruitment, intake, rush, etc.) must be substance free. No alcohol or drugs may be present if the event or activity is related to new member activities, meetings, or initiation into Kappa Delta Rho including but not limited to “bid night,” “Big/Little” events or activities, “family” events or activities, and any ritual or ceremony.
(10) Kappa Delta Rho Brothers, New Members, or guests must not permit, encourage, coerce, glorify or participate in any activities involving the rapid consumption of alcohol, such as drinking games.
The term “hazing” means any intentional, knowing, or reckless act committed by a person, whether individually or in concert with other persons, against any individual or group of individuals, regardless of affiliation, whether or not committed on [chapter/organizational] property, for the purpose of recruiting, joining, pledging, initiating, admitting, affiliating, or for the purpose of retaining membership in an organization that causes an individual or group of individuals to do any of the following, regardless of a person’s willingness to participate:
a. Be coerced to violate federal, state, provincial, local law, or [organizational] policy.
b. Be coerced to consume any food, liquid, alcoholic liquid, drug, or other substance in any non-customary manner which subjects the individual or group of individuals to a substantial risk of emotional or physical harm which includes but not limited to sickness, vomiting, intoxication, or unconsciousness.*
c. Endure brutality of a physical nature, including but not limited to whipping, beating, paddling, branding, dangerous physical activity, or exposure to elements or endure threats of such conduct that results in mental or physical harm.
d. Endure brutality of a mental nature, including but not limited to activity adversely affecting the mental health or dignity of the individual, sleep deprivation, exclusion from social contact or conduct that could result in extreme embarrassment or endure threats of such conduct that results in mental or physical harm.*
e. Endure any other activity which adversely affects the health and safety of an individual, including but not limited to the disruption of academic performance or class attendance, required designated driving programs, line ups, calisthenics, or personal, physical, or financial servitude.*
Kappa Delta Rho and its members must comply with all federal, state, provincial, and local laws related to sexual misconduct. This is including, but not limited to, definitions around consent, sexual violence, sexual harassment, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual exploitation.
The employment or use of strippers, exotic dancers or similar, whether professional or amateur, at any fraternity activity or event as defined in this policy is prohibited.
Assault and Battery
In any activity or event sponsored or endorsed by the [chapter/organization], including those that occur on or off [organizational/chapter] premises, no chapter, member or guest shall engage in assault and battery, as defined in the state statues in which the activity or event occurs.
Firearms, Explosive or Incendiary Devices
Kappa Delta Rho and its members must comply with all federal, state, provincial, local laws and campus policy as it relates to firearms or explosive or incendiary devices.
Firearms or explosive or incendiary devices are prohibited from the chapter facility and at all undergraduate fraternity activities or events.
Kappa Delta Rho prohibits retaliation against any individual – members and non-members – for reporting, inquiring, or cooperating with a report around a violation of [Risk Management Policy.]
Retaliation is any action, statement, or behavior that is designed to punish an individual for filing a compliance report, cooperating with a compliance investigation, seeking guidance regarding a compliance concern, or to deter one from taking such action.
Kappa Delta Rho shall distribute its Risk Management Policy on an annual basis. A copy of the Risk Management Policy is available on kdr.com.