In December 1945, Ferd Ensinger was named Executive Secretary of Kappa Delta Rho by the board of directors. Upon accepting the responsibility, he had the difficult task of reactivating all closed KDR Chapters. Ferd believed there was a definite place post-war for fraternities in universities and colleges, and that KDR, with her high ideals, would hold her place with the best of them. Due to his zeal and energy, and supplemented by the aid of alumni, KDR experienced resurgence.
The 1946 convention in Columbus, Ohio focused on reopening Chapters, with 15 reopening that fall. Under the guidance of President John L. Blakeley, Eta ’22, and National Executive Secretary Ferd B. Ensinger, Alpha ’45, Phi Chapter opened at the University of Oklahoma. KDR established a colony at the University of Florida, but it never became a chapter. Under Expansion Chairman Frederic T. Closs, Rho ’51, KDR chartered Chapters at Lycoming College and Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 1953 and 1955, respectively.
The Brothers featured in this piece made a decision to build an organization based on honor that has endured the test of time.